Saturday, November 15, 2008

The cheese/bread hypothetical, Qdoba's taco salad, and other pressing issues

One time my brother asked, "Would you rather live in a world without bread or cheese?" Now, on its face this seems like a rather easy question to answer, you just choose which of the two you like more, and decide on that basis. However, that is an oversimplification, since cheese and bread share a symbiotic relationship, both ultimately contributing to the welfare of society. Now, in bread's credit, it is the foundation of almost all sandwiches. So bread makes things possible. However, cheese takes it to the next level.  Without bread, you don't have a hamburger, but without cheese, that very same burger can't be awesome. Take this same principle and apply to many foods, a blt, pizza, etc... (for more on my love of this see Meditations on Pizza and Pasta Hut posts below) Personally, I don't think there is a right answer. A world lacking bread or cheese would be a brutish, awful, short, and miserable existence.

Further, I'd like to commend Qdoba for the outstanding advancements they've made with respect to taco salads. Given the time constraints of having a Thursday night class I usually have to grab a meal on the run. Given considerations of time, price, geography, and portability I am limited in where I can go. Last week, this turned into a minor disaster when I tempted my luck with Subway's latest offering (see post below). So, now that I am boycotting that institution I was left with grabbing a meal from Qdoba. As everyone knows, the very biggest lies are the ones that we tell ourselves. In this case, I wanted to compromise a healthy lifestyle while still eating Qdoba, so I figured ordering a salad would suit both needs. However, to call any meal served in a taco shell healthy is just being reckless with the truth. I have to say, the meal was brilliant. Definitely one of Qdoba's best kept secrets.

Lastly, I dj'd this weekend, and I sometimes I honestly doubt the ability of young adults to notice simple patterns. As you've been able to glean from this blog, I like dance music. When I dj, its all I play, and should someone listen for more than 10 minutes this is abundantly clear. However, last night in the middle of my set someone requested a Garth Brooks song. This was rather unsettling, and is not something that I will likely bounce back from anytime soon.


No comments: